Recent reports indicate that 43% of the nation’s baby formula products are currently out-of-stock. The Healthy Start Coalitions recommend breastfeeding as the best source of nutrition for babies, although they recognize that this is not an option for some families. Families should not water down formula mix, make homemade formula, or use animal milk or any milk alternative, as these can lack a proper nutritional balance and pose a risk to young children.
The Healthy Start Coalitions are recommending that families who need to find formula look into the availability at smaller stores and pharmacies or try purchasing formula from reputable online sources. Families should check with their pediatrician about changing formula, or for any advice needed.
“We share the public’s concerns about the current nationwide shortage of baby formula, and we’re actively working with the Florida Department of Health, policymakers and community partners to help find relief for those affected,” said Cathy Timuta, Chief Executive Officer of the Florida Association of Healthy Start Coalitions. “Our local Healthy Start Coalitions will continue to collaborate with local and state partners to help bring solutions to parents at this challenging time, and will provide local resources wherever possible.”
RESOURCES (click on the link)
- What should I do if I can’t find baby formula? American Academy of Pediatrics
- Contact your local Healthy Start Coalition for possible local resources: Coalition map
- Family Information Regarding Formula Shortage- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Floridaassociationofhealthystartcoalitions/photos/pcb.5191098847634501/5191098250967894
- Client Information Regarding Formula Shortage – Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Floridaassociationofhealthystartcoalitions/photos/pcb.5191106827633703/5191106020967117
- Client Information Regarding Formula Shortage – Twitter: https://twitter.com/FCoalitions/status/1529111509711863809/photo/1
- Family Information Regarding Formula Shortage- Twitter: https://twitter.com/FCoalitions/status/1529110728988405764/photo/1
- US Dept. of Health & Human Services Resources: https://www.hhs.gov/formula/index.html